How I Fight Breakouts!

Hey everyone! I'm back with a long overdue - but worth the wait post. Thank you for being so sweet and patient, if you have any suggestions on future posts please comment and let me know! I'd love to have some more ideas on what to write about. Skincare is big love of mine, but I definitely might branch out. This post was inspired by the nasty trick my face decided to pull on me the other day, I broke out along my chin! It wasn't even something that was small and I was able to cover up. No, my skin did me dirty.

First thing's first - we get pimples because of bacteria that gets trapped within our pores. If you'd like a more elaborated answer:

"Pores become clogged if there is too much sebum and too many dead skin cells. Bacteria (especially one called Propionibacterium acnes) can then get trapped inside the pores and multiply. This causes swelling and redness — the start of acne"

I rarely ever break out so this was completely my fault. At times I definitely do slack off a little and take my skin for granted. So I guess that was my skin flipping me off and reminding me not to forget about it. I am very dramatic. When I get sick, or I get the tiniest zit on my face, I go into full recovery mode. Keep in mind, this is what works for MY SKIN. I am by no means an expert, I have just come across some amazing products along the way that you should try :)

When I start to break out, I go back to basics. I figure it's because my skin had some sort of change it didn't agree with, and what I always use works best for me. So I go right back to what I'm familiar with. A few weeks ago I came across my new favorite cleanser! Now I know I said the L'Occitane is my favorite but I feel like this one really strips away all the oil off my face and leaves my face squeaky clean. The L'Occitane is still a favorite though - and I will repurchase.

CLARINS Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Cottonseed

I have repurchased this one twice already I am going to go buy a new one by the end of the week. This leaves my face feeling absolutely cleansed and since I have started using it I do notice that it has balanced my skin out a lot. This one is good for normal - combination skin. They do have a few other ones, and they have one for combo - oily skin if that's your skin type. It's only $26, and you can get it here. Also, it contains cottonseed (clearly), which has emollient properties. Meaning it soothes out rough surfaces - MEANING, your face is going to feel baby smooth. 


POND'S Cold Cream Cleanser

Well first of all - this is magic. I just want everyone to know that. Razor burn? POND'S. You got a little thigh rash from the heat? POND'S. Your man isn't acting right? POND'S. Seriously though, this is a LIFE SAVER. It's so gentle that I remove my makeup with this after I use coconut oil - or when I don't have coconut oil I still use this to take my makeup off. Just because I don't like using other cleansers to take makeup off, I feel like there's no point in doing that. There's what I use to take makeup off - then what I use to wash my actual face. Cleansers will do you no justice if you put them on TOP of your makeup then wash them off. As I was saying, this is so gentle that I use it before everything else. It seems like a lot to put on your face, first this then that ... but it is really not. I RUN TO THIS, whenever I have a breakout. My skin is use to it - not to mention, your skin will be sooo soft after using this. So slather this baby on and thank me later. You can get at a local pharmacy, it's about $4.99 for a small one. 

So as far as cleansers go, those are the two that I used mainly this past week to get my skin back to its normal state. BUT - let me tell you guys about two others ones that I absolutely adore. 

SANRE Cucumber Cleanser

In all honesty I have completely been neglecting this cleanser for my heavier ones. This is so gentle, and the ingredients are amazing. It contains aloe which needless to say works miracles for your skin. The cucumber has a high water content so it hydrates your skin and it is high in Vitamin C. This is completely organic, non GMO and gluten free. This one reminds me a lot of my L'Occitane one, it is very gentle on your skin and has a very light consistency. You can find this at Whole Foods, or you can order it here



ORIGINS Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash

I might actually repurchase this one again instead of the CLARINS one. I do not like using a certain face wash for too long or else my skin will get use to it and it won't feel the same as it first did when I started using it. This one will take EVERYTHING off of your face, and it leaves it so fresh and clean. It leaves your skin very balanced and toned out, which is something I always look for in cleansers because I use to have slight redness around my nose and mouth like two years ago. It was such an annoying discoloration, but it went away completely thank God. I was so in love when I first used it and I would highly recommend it. This brand in general is a gem, if you have oily skin they have another great one that I have as well but I don't use it as often only because my skin isn't very oily and I don't need to. However, purchase it and you won't regret it! 

Of course, I do not use all of these at once. When I'm breaking out I use the first two and maybe a night or two I will use the third one. It's important not to overwhelm your skin with new products when breaking out, and too many products can also be damaging to your skin. Now moving on to MASKS!

Pure Smile Aloe Essence Mask

THIS. IS. AMAZING!
I had two whole new worlds on my chin the other night. I put this mask on for maybe 25 minutes because I get lazy, and also it's just aloe so it's not like my face was crusted up with clay and it had to be taken off ASAP. In my mind, the longer the better so that my skin could soak it all up. I have absolutely no idea what the packaging says. I picked this up randomly in Ricky's because I knew Aloe Vera is amazing, but that is about it. The next morning I woke up and my skin was CLEAR as day! I was GLOWWWWINGGG. This is about 2 dollars at most. You can also just buy an Aloe plant and rub it all in your face. But I like this mask so much, you guys need it. 



LUSH Mask Of Magnaminty

This mask is amazing for clearing out your pores and getting rid of your blackheads. I don't use this the same night as the Aloe because again - I don't want to overwhelm my skin. This mask also gently exfoliates your skin, which will get all the bacteria out of your pores. You can buy this mask here
Honey is one of the main ingredients in this mask, and it has a lot of antioxidant properties which is important when you're dealing with acne and breakouts. These are all natural and safe ingredients. I do not push anything harsh on my face whatsoever, my skin is really sensitive so I highly doubt you will have a reaction from anything mentioned in my posts. However, everyone is different. I don't use this mask every night because of the fact that it does exfoliate your skin. If you over exfoliate, your skin will dry up and crack - which leads to more breakouts, yuck. 



I got a huge one at Whole Food's but they are
always low, so you can get one here 
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay


I know you all saw this one coming. I have a love/hate relationship with this mask. I only used this ONCE during my breakout week (lol). Because it IS very strong. If you have sensitive skin, do not leave it on for very long, your face will stay red from all the blood rushing to it, and it will irritate your skin. HOWEVER, if you use it correctly this mask really is great. It lasts you forever, which is a plus. You mix it up with some water, or apple cider vinegar until it's the consistency that you'd like, and just put it all over or wherever you feel you need it the most if you think the mask is too strong for you. 


I am really big on oils, butters, and NATURAL spot treatments. I had once used an acne spot treatment from Clean & Clear and it BURNED my skin. It completely burned off everywhere I had put it. My skin was red and literally gone and bumps took the place where I now would have much rather have had a pimple. Instead, it completely destroyed my skin. After this, that is when I turned to natural skincare instead of trying to burn the blemishes off of my face.

Get it here
LUSH Grease Lightning

I am not too sure why this is labeled as a cleanser. I was introduced to this product as a spot treatment. Whenever I have a pimple, or feel something forming, I rub a small amount into the spot and it's completely down by the morning. This bottle is so little and it will last you for months because you only need the slightest amount of it. This has thyme, tea tree and rosemary as the main ingredients. 







Buy it here

cocokind Organic Facial Repair Serum

I use this every night before I moisturize! It does not sit on your skin and make you feel oily, it makes your skin so soft, I cannot even begin to explain. You can use this as a daily moisturizer, but recently my skin has been a little oily so I haven't been using this in the morning. This has three ingredients, all of which do wonders for your skin. Coconut Oil (it will NOT clog your pores. no coconut oil slander on my blog), Rosehip Oil, and Avocado Oil! This also took away those annoying little forehead bumps that kept coming back on my skin for whatever reason. This company is AMAZING, the owner use to suffer from horrible acne and made these products to help others who were once in her shoes. I love that nature really does have all of our answers, there is no need to pack chemicals onto your skin! 
I got mine at Whole Foods for $13.99, and all you really need is a pump or two.

We're almost done, this seems like so many products on your skin but I swear they're all used for different things and they're not heavy.


Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Toner Rose Petal


If you do not already tone your face every night, you need to. You will find that cleansers only take so much dirt and bacteria off of your face. This toner is amazing, and aids so much in clearing breakouts and preventing new ones. Rose on your face is wonderful.







MARIO BADESCU Facial Spray With Aloe, Herb  and Rosewater


I spray this everywhere! I spray it in my hair to freshen my curls up, I spray it around my room, and on my bed, especially my pillows before I go to sleep. The smell is so light! When I tell you guys roses and aloe are my life savers, I mean it. I spray this before my makeup, as well as after to set my makeup. As far as skincare goes, this will tone your face up and leave it hydrated as ever. This is my go-to all day when I'm breaking out. You can get it at Ulta or Urban Outfitters.





LAST BUT NOT LEAST, my favorite thing to do is rub Shea Butter ALL OVER MY FACEI ONLY use raw unrefined Shea Butter. Nothing whipped, nothing extra. Raw natural Shea Butter is GODLY, and you can rub it all over your body. It doesn't clog your pores, so I literally slather it on. I got mine for $20 at Whole Foods, but you can order raw unrefined Shea Butter off of Amazon! 




When dealing with a breakout do not touch your face or pick at your skin as tempting as it is. I love to drink lemon and cucumber water, it tastes so yummy and it has amazing benefits for your skin. Try to stay away from sweets, and fast food. Take care of your body and you will shine from inside out :)

If anyone has any amazing products they use for breakouts feel free to comment and share. Thank you all for reading and I hope you take my tips into consideration! Also, please comment with what you would like to see for the next blog post (which I promise will come soon!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment